Certina watch ,age about 1975.

ottarno

Hello everybody.

This i a Certina with battery whick I baught in about 1975 , gold duble,  cost 2000 NOK at that time . The problem is, not waterresistant around the knob any longer. 

Best way to fix ? rubber ring, grease or new parts around the knob.  

Also the watch dial is not new any longer, where to get new?

Whould like to renew it before I hand it over to next generation.

Thanks if anyone have knowledge about this watch.

P_20211225_101018 (1).jpg

P_20211225_101005 (1).jpg

P_20211225_100853_001 (1).jpg

Hi   Cleaning dials with anything other than a damp cotto n but is liable  to a remiove the laquer, if its a water transfer  you could also remove the indices and chapter ring.  The crystal if polished will probably improve the look.  The movement is an ETA 956 111 I think as the numbers are indistinct. I have attached th technical sheet should you need some more information and or parts

8197_ETA 956.112.pdf

Hello again.

Have cheched the watch and number is ETA 955111 if it mean anything for drawing  and also for the knob and waterresistance. Are there any box with different rubber rings for knobs on internet? Have tried to find without  success.

1 hour ago, ottarno said:

number is ETA 955111 if it mean anything

That is the model of the mov.t made by another company, it doesn't mean anything when working on case parts.

1 hour ago, ottarno said:

Are there any box with different rubber rings for knobs on internet?

O-rings for crowns. Yes, there are assortment boxes and also available by size, for example from Cousins UK an even Ebay or Aliexpress. You need to remove the stem first, look at what is there, and measure with vernier calipers.

Hi  Have a look at these web sites UK, Cousins UK,  HS Walsh,  Gleave &co AG Thomas ar in th USA  Jules Borel, Esslingers.   on the Joles Borel site they have a database just look ip under the ETA 955111 and you will find the parts listing.  The stem /crown gasket is likely dried out/vracked allowing moisture ingress.  Cousins do Micro gasgets,  abd the best grease for the sealing gasket is silicone, also available at cousins.  you will lilely need another case gasket as well.

On 12/25/2021 at 11:39 AM, mikepilk said:

dial is looking aged? I think you would be lucky to find a new one.

What becomes interesting for aged dials are they can actually bump up the value of the watch. Then cleaning of dials is not recommended they don't like to be cleaned. Getting a replacement would be problematic as it's not considered a replacement component by most watch companies. There are companies though that will refinish the dial and make it look like new.

Then from the photographs it doesn't really look like this is a water resistant case? It looks more like a dust resistant case. Which is probably why the dial looks as bad as it does. So basically if I'm right there isn't much you can do to seal this up to make it water resistant. Doesn't look like the crown had any gaskets originally and I doubt there was a back casket.

12 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

What becomes interesting for aged dials are they can actually bump up the value of the watch. Then cleaning of dials is not recommended they don't like to be cleaned. Getting a replacement would be problematic as it's not considered a replacement component by most watch companies. There are companies though that will refinish the dial and make it look like new.

Interesting and aged dials can bump up the value of the watch - especially if it's an old Rolex Daytona or similar. But, for cheaper watches, it all depends on how it looks, and personal taste.  It's the same with classic cars - they never left the factory looking 'old and aged', but some think that's how they should look.

I've been looking for a replacement dial for a 60s Certina 23-20 for a couple of years - it looks "nicely aged", but has a scratch, which doesn't look so nice.

(I'm still not sure whether radium should be replaced on dials. I have replaced it on a couple of 'cheaper' watches I have, but have left a Universal Geneve untouched, so far)

24 minutes ago, ottarno said:

Have ordered rubber rings from UK to improve the waterresistance

Have you looked first the crown to see what is has? If not, don't count on on the fact that any of the O rings from the assortment will fit.