Rolex Submariner (only $20,ooo on amazone) crappy dial?

I'm looking for a high quality waterproof watch that can be visible after days in the dark,  luckily just before I clicked 'buy' on this economical Submariner by Rolex I saw it was only 'luminous'.  You would think for that kind of money they could afford Radium or Tritium.   !   POS I guess.  The best I've seen is the Luminox Navy Seals with tritium tubes.  (While the only decent 'luminous' was the Invicta automatic that did hold light for over 12 hrs).   I'm still researching.  Almost sold my house to get the Rolex, but it's just not good enough.  Any suggestions?

There are not many companies making tritium lume watches; all the current ones use miniature gas filled tritium tubes, as far as I know. That means the ones with glowing digits rather than indices tend to be larger sizes.

Ball make both lower and higher end ones:

https://www.armourlite.com/isobrite-t100-naval-series-tritium-watches

https://www.ballwatch.com/global/1/collections/roadmaster---94/marine-gmt-ceramic---dg3030b-s1cj-bk---2639.html

Traser make more mid-range ones:

https://www.traser.com/en/collection/our-collection/outdoor-watches/

There are some others, but those give a range of examples.

Tritium fades quite quickly over time; it's half life is roughly 12.5 years, so a 25 year old watch would have 1/4 the intensity compared to when it was new.

If it must be tritium, then I'd only get new or very nearly so - no vintage ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can add MWC, Marathon and Nite to that list, they have also sold T100 tubed watches as well as the more normal T25 tubes. The tubes at very best will only last about 20 years but these three and Ball do replacement services.

Tom

• Like 2

I've run across a "STAUER"  tritium watch that seem pretty bright.   I'm looking at a Marathon as well.   I  had hoped a Radium dial watch would still work but I think all the old Seikos with radium have burned up the luminous material by now.  The Ball watches,  maybe $1000  ,  um  wow  certainly better than Rolex but 3 times the price of a Marathon,  couldn't be worth it.   (for my worst case scenario we're hunting,  rainy,  no chance to charge a lume watch,  someone is injured at night.  I want a watch I can check pulse,  hold pressure on a wound for 10 minutes ,  mark a tourniquet etc.)  (and it still works after I've shot my 12 ga. and fell out of a tree).   I am having so much fun investigating, collecting and repairing watches !!  Not ready for prime time but watches are cool.      

• Like 1