Longines Weems (Small) Bezel Lock Rebuild- How Did It Work?

There were many variants of the bezel lock and crown for the Weems. Usually there was a crown and a wedge part that prevented the bezel from turning when locked. The 2 o'clock position is the look I am going for...

IMG_1785.thumb.jpeg.782bc08e1045e4fbe149240af1a46ac7.jpeg

...but the unit I'm trying to restore to function was held together with one screw wedged inside the case tube and screwed into the crown. The crown turns freely, unfortunately and would not lock down the bezel....

IMG_1801.thumb.jpeg.811934653b5cea10d27749c93d190010.jpeg

There was no wedge piece and this set up served only to keep the crown with the watch. Losing these parts was all but assured and replacements are nil. I've built the wedge part but I'm wondering if anyone knows how these were supposed to work originally as I cannot see the best solution? The tube is threaded as if there was a stem threaded to the case and a tip that threaded to the crown? As it stands the crown/screw combo I have is .80 and the screw head is 1.80. 

IMG_1803.jpeg

IMG_1802.jpeg

Edited by rehajm

• 3 weeks later...

Project update- now completed. I saw another weems where the locking crown was threaded and matched the thick diameter of the threaded case, the end inside was mushroomed so it would lock out before becoming detached. The crown I have had only the internal threads so I hunted for a replacement screw that would fit like the 'original'. A setting lever screw from a scrap movement had a .8 pitch and a head wide enough to wedge into the case and allow for unscrewing of the crown. I wish the screw was longer but it will allow the bezel to be unlocked and turned. The watch is a gift for a young pilot so I'll warn not to unscrew the crown too much. I found a donor movement with the extra long version of the seconds pinion spring so movement is working brilliant...

IMG_1843.thumb.jpeg.55b7dbac0aeeb69da4a7ca1d49a2f992.jpeg

I made the little wedge part from a tiny piece of .015 annealed 1075 steel shim. My work is quick and dirty and wouldn't fly on a nicely finished case but my rough finish doesn't really show under the locking crown and matches the damage on the bezel quite nicely thank you 😁...

IMG_1844.thumb.jpeg.aee66c52c8d11ce955532ddfff273889.jpeg

I have a bigger version weems on the bench at the moment. There are so many variants of case and movement they feel more like the days of hand made. I'll post the other soon....

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I recently posted about my inability to determine exactly how to open a vintage Sovereign watch.  As some of you may recall, with a lot of help from people in this group, I eventually figured out that the watch was a front loader and got everything worked out.  The watch is now running great and in my collection.  For my very next project I purchased a 1950s Benrus 3 Star 25 Jewel Self-Winding watch.  I wanted to expand my experience into automatics.  I figured since Sovereign was made by Benrus and both leaned heavily into front loading single piece case backs, I shouldn’t have a problem.  I was wrong.  Let me try to get to the point.  I have added pictures to help provide as much info as possible.  This watch appears to clearly have a seam in the case back.  There seems to be an opening on the rear of the front half of the case to allow the stem to slide out of the back of the case (possibly without being removed). The case DOES NOT say “Open Through Crystal” as many Benrus watches do.    The crystal is a “low dome” style and my crystal lift (not the highest quality )cannot seem to get a grip on the side of it as it is almost 100% angled with no real straight piece to grasp.  I read in an old discussion on this site (where someone was having a similar issue) that some Benrus watches open by pushing the crystal and movement through the case in a way that actually pushed the case back off.  I can find NO obvious place intended for prying the case back off but there definitely appears to be a seam.  See pics.   Once again, I would greatly appreciate your input and advice.  Thanks.
    • @mikepilk - yes, this is a cheap movement and I have a donor movement with balance intact if all goes wrong with the tweak.  I’d leave it alone if it were anything irreplaceable. That’s why I thought it would be good for practice 🙂 This balance self-starts when winding from zero, so clearly a 2ms BE isn’t high enough to prevent that. I’d be tweaking it for sure if didn’t. In fact, that’s exactly the reason  I needed to adjust the BE of the last movement with a fixed stud I serviced - it had trouble starting at a low wind and without shaking it.  @Nucejoe - thanks for the tip.  I’ll give the hairspring a prod while running on the TG - gently - this afternoon.  
    • Thanks @nevenbekriev. I've been using a mini hacksaw to cut off my work pieces.  I see you mounted your cutters on their own holders, made of angled steel. Clever!  I bought the smallest quick change tool post available but when mounted on the cross slide, it is much too big.    How did you drill through the head of the bolt?
    • I guess to figure out what you were getting at John you'd have to be clever!? 😉 I would expect a higher amplitude and we can't get enough of that, can we? 😉 Also, it will be easier to get the balance going once it stops and we wind the mainspring up from 0. I haven't personally investigated if that's true but it sounded reasonable when Kalle Slaap described it. Maybe the difference is negligible when the beat error is 2.0ms or less?  
    • Slightly tweak to push the coil to one side, push right after the bend of terminal curve, you can actually see the balance rotate a bit .   Do this with the movement on TG while running, observe !!     see  if BE get smaller or wider. If BE gets bigger ,  your beat was advance, and vice versa. ---Slight push is so you don't cause a permanent bend , you want the coil to bounce back unbent. https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_171969890606813&key=7384788ce4aeab830f00b905bbcc0552&libId=ly0qhzdj010050gq000ULau7hbs8i&loc=https%3A%2F%2Frwg.cc%2Ftopic%2F188093-yuki-3135-hairspring%2F&v=1&opt=true&out=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.timezone.com%2Fimg%2Farticles%2Fhorologium631675494030170118%2Fmark12-2.reg.schematic.numbered.jpg&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&title=Yuki 3135 hairspring - General Discussion - RWG&txt=   Tweak section one. Good luck