Speed adjust without mechanism Mantle clock

Posted (edited)

Somehow the regulating gears and lever are missing. Is there a way to adjust levers or gears to slow ti down? Gains about 5 minutes a day. Maybe add weight to the wheel (top middle)? Sorry I don't remember the proper names of the parts. 😃 I'll try to attach a picture of the clock works. Some numbers I can read are 340-020

Clock 1.jpg

Mantel clock.jpg

Edited by RichL

Posted (edited)

You are the winner! I had a clock guy years ago tell me the adjustment was missing! I have the model shown in your picture with + and -, the adjustment on the balance wheel. I moved it toward the - side. Will report back in a few days how it goes. Rich

Edited by RichL

I'm not sure if you can correct 5 mins a day by turning the regulator. If you can't correct it even after turning the finger wheel all the way to the left, then you will have to add weights the the wheel. There is another video that shows how to do that.

Posted (edited)

I think I stated the amount wrong, think it is more like 5 minutes every 3 days. So far today after 8 hours it is running correct. I moved the adjustment 3 or 4 notches left. If I can't get it correct with the adjustment I'll get out my BFH

Edited by RichL

OK I have the speed adjustment set pretty good, off less than a few seconds a day. Now I am wondering if I am not winding enough is a problem? I have been winding once a week. What is recommended  interval? I have the chimes turned off.

Edited by RichL

The Hermle 340 020 is a 8 day mechanism. Winding it once a week is good. Can it run properly for the entire week?

If the clock has not been serviced recently, a full disassembly, cleaning and oiling would be advised. If you intend to undertake the task yourself, many of us can guide you through. But @oldhippy would be your bet when it comes to anything clock related. He has helped me much over the years.

You will need some essential clock repair tools like a power let down key and a mainspring winder. The mainspring winder can be rather expensive, costing about $300 to $500. So, unless you plan to repair a lot of clocks, it might make more sense to send it to a reputable clockmaker. ( Not the one who told you that the adjustment mechanism is missing. )

• Like 1