What material for watch cushions

Eyup evening (UK) watch folk.  You may or may not know i like to make my own stuff for the watch repair addiction.  Thats the Yorkshireman in me, i got a bit bored with my movement cushion so i decided to procure some ideas of what makes the perfect material to work on. You may not use a cushion, i seem to switch back and forth with a cushion and a holder but there are things that a cushion makes easier to do and its often faster. I have no idea 💡 of what the shop bought stuff is made of so or how good it is to work with so i need some input there to educate me. So here is my play around table loaded with bits of allsorts . Paper, cardboard, cork, mdf, different rubbers , different foams, insulation board, polystyrene . The lead pennies are to weight down the tins tubs I've bin using to make cushions/dust protectors ( cool idea if i say so myself🎺 <- thats my trumpet  ) bigger tins are on route. Who's  broken a sub second pivot on a watch cushion ? 

17194369940714507577239703208077.jpg

The polystyrene seems handy, the right hardness to work on yet soft so as not to damage a sticky out pivot, i guess not very durable though. Heres another little added idea for part storage/protection during multiple disassemblies, I'll add it to the tips and tricks thread as well. Origamy boxes and lids, dead easy to make and cost  nothing.

17194377661734419954553583107503.jpg

Being a Yorkshireman like you Rich, I don't like to waste £££ on bits of Bergeon plastic when it's not necessary. 

I had a very cheap (and nasty) cushion, threw away the middle, and in the ring put some 15mm thick packing foam. It's perfect for the job. Soft enough not to cause damage, and wipe clean. I don't like the idea of gel cushions, as they can catch hands/pivots etc and cause damage.  

20240626_231527.thumb.jpg.9ed203b088302ce1dedcccda62c53af7.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Being a Yorkshireman like you Rich, I don't like to waste £££ on bits of Bergeon plastic when it's not necessary. 

I had a very cheap (and nasty) cushion, threw away the middle, and in the ring put some 15mm thick packing foam. It's perfect for the job. Soft enough not to cause damage, and wipe clean. I don't like the idea of gel cushions, as they can catch hands/pivots etc and cause damage.  

20240626_231527.thumb.jpg.9ed203b088302ce1dedcccda62c53af7.jpg

👍 thats the sort of idea I was going for Mike, i thought the same about the gel ones ripping an extended pivot off if it dug into the cushion,the foam has more give in it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Never.

Don't stop posting your ideas or DIY ventures. Been inspired by a few of your previous posts. Most entertaining. Brings out the best in us. Mikepilk addition proves a point.

Ross

There's very little chance of shutting me up Ross 😆. Since a kid of 5 I've been into making things,it keeps the old grey matter active. 

4 hours ago, AndyGSi said:

I use 5ml & 10ml makeup pots for storing parts and have thin neoprene discs to pad the bottom depending on the part.

image.thumb.png.ab4ade4b0e3d80e967067857ce2a2c18.png

Lol , thats so funny , i was doing exactly that at 1.00 am this morning with donor movementsI layering the tub , loose parts on the bothom hands etc, dial movement on top and the dial sandwiched inbetween. I need to get myself job or just get out more, problem is i dont like people 😆.

17195020609437719035559624999154.jpg

17195021206893912812176737073062.jpg

• Like 1