Omega cal 1012 not holding power

quantieme

On 6/29/2024 at 12:19 AM, oldhippy said:

You need to replace 1010 1464 it is the reverse wheel. 

On 6/28/2024 at 2:39 PM, quantieme said:

when i manually turn the rotor, yes you can see the barrel winding.

So the reverser does transfer power. 

But might do so in only one direction , either clockwise or anticlock.

On 6/28/2024 at 10:19 PM, Nucejoe said:

does ratchet wheel turn in either direction he turns the rotor? 

or transmit power in one direction only.

So,  if you will please let us know, does ratchet wheel turn , regardless  of which direction , you manually turn the rotor.

@quantieme,

I feel I need to say few things more than the others already sid here.

The auto winding module is a simple thing and finding faults in it is simple thing too. But You need to know how it works and what must it's behavior be first.

First - how it must work and behave when it is in normal order:

You have  traditional bi-directional winding module with two reverse wheels, but here in Omega the two reverse wheels are united in one, they are two reverse wheels mounted on one common pinion. Then, I have seen in some Omega movements that You have one more reverse wheel, which is mounted on the ratchet wheel. The ratchet wheel is made on two levels, with reverse function between them. This allows separate winding by the crown without bringing to motion of the auto module.  I am no sure if You case is this, I have not worked with such movements long time ago, have only distant memories.

You have to know how normally such auto module performs as to check and understand if there is a problem with it.

When the spring is not wound, turning the rotor in any direction will slowly turn the ratchet wheel, and You will fill almost no resistance. Turning the watch will make the rotor turn the module because of the rotor mass. BUT when the spring is already wound, You will fill significant resistance when turning the rotor , and slow turning of the watch may not make the module turn, as the mass of the rotor may not overcome the resistance of the spring winding. This is the reason why some movements will not auto wind fully on winding machines.

But it is important to know that in this condition (fully wound mainspring), turning of the rotor in any direction must continue turning the ratchet wheel (actually the arbor of the barrel, as there might be reverse wheel in ratchet wheel that may be out of health). Further more, a healthy module will have relatively small angular free play of the rotor. This will be about (no more than) 90 degrees. And, if You turn the rotor only to +/-180 degr., this must be enough to make the ratchet wheel turn.

So, here You have the way to check the function of the winding module. No use to check it's function when the spring is unwound, as then resistance is small. Wind the mainspring fully (6 revolutions of the ratchet wheel is enough) and start turning the rotor back and forth in the limits of 180 degr angle, not making full revolutions at all. Observe what is the angle wit small resistance (the free play) and is the resistance increasing (spring is wound) within the limits of this 180 degr. oscillation. Does the ratchet wheel turn ahead?

Of course, as @oldhippy said, the main reason for faults here is the double reverse wheel part. If it is out of order, usually disassembling it shows that one of the posts of the pawls inside has broke or smash. Replacing of the post (tapered steel pin needed to be pressed in place and then cut and filed to correct height) normalizes the function of the part. But, if there is reverse wheel in the ratchet wheel, it may be the reason too.

Edited by nevenbekriev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

First - how it must work and behave when it is in normal order:

Thinking about how the watch works on page 1 of this discussion I posted an image. This came out of an Omega document specifying things related to This watch and there's an upgrade. I'm reattaching the image notice the upgrade's purpose is to increase winding speed they must've grasped they had a problem. Also notice that both components have to be right in other words you can't just upgrade one you must upgrade both. Fortunately they tell you how to identify each one.

One of the reasons I bring this up is when people start mixing and matching components well if you have the wrong ones you're going to have an issue.

image.png.cf6f5cdcb019295020cbd8b271e66c4c.png.84fd2cdf0d4d1f1f7b3776be09bf282e.png

• Thanks 1