Of course I talk at work about my new watchmaking hobby. So my manager told me that his son has a watch from his grandfather (the son not the manager) which has great sentimental value but is not working anymore. 
A vintage omega. He told me they hear something rattling when they shake it (not a good sign I would say). I told him I didn’t feel confident enough to even open it and look at the interior. Let alone try to repair it. 
But I could post here for advices. RenderedImage.thumb.jpeg.210b4b6163888df98b54793c6be0d81e.jpegRenderedImage.thumb.jpeg.b8fab76b2ea5ff4c90cea141ae843e54.jpeg

from the pictures is there a chance to identify the movement and to know if parts would be available. 

Also does someone know a reputable watchmaker around Boston who could take a look and how much a diagnostic could cost (of course I assume repair price would depend on what is wrong). 

Sounds like the oscillating weight has come adrift could have have broken the axcel. If you have a good case opener just have a look, no harm in taking a look at least you will be able to tell him what is wrong. Post a good photo here and we will be able to confirm for you.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 7:02 PM, Terrinecold said:

I didn’t feel confident enough to even open it and look at the interior. Let alone try to repair it.

Always listen to the voice in the back of your head which says in this particular case extreme caution. Versus jumping in and breaking something that you really don't want to do.

Then somewhere in the group we've had the discussion of all the friends whatever who find out what your hobby is and suddenly they have a watch that needs to be serviced. Because conveniently the you're the only watchmaker still alive on the planet at least that they know of. Not that they couldn't find a watchmaker Conveniently they don't because They would then have to make a serious commitment of paying money.

1 hour ago, Bonefixer said:

The ball might work, if not you need a screw down case opener. The bench mounted ones are the best rather than the hand held ones, and the chinese clone of a Bergeon one I got was about 1/10th the price and works great. 

On a case like this it was properly tightened the ball definitely will not work but it might it just shouldn't because it should be really nice and tight. If you have the proper hand held ones most of the time that work fine but they can slip and scratch things up.

Then I'd be curious to see a picture of the  Bergeon Case (as there's probably more than one choice in their catalog I'm curious about which one the Chinese have cloned?

• Like 1

I totally agree with those that have urged caution if you don’t feel comfortably able to tackle this repair. Don’t learn on other people’s watches. 

That said, it sounds as if the noise the watch makes is caused by excessive play in the automatic winding rotor. This is a common issue for this watch. 

There is a pinion, a combined bushing and gear pressed in at the axis of the rotor. 

As this part wears, it allows the rotor to flop around, causing it to rub against the movement and the case back. 

The proper repair is to replace this pinion.

The worn pinion is pressed out. The replacement is pressed in and the hole is then reamed to fit the axle it turns upon. It is lubricated and it’ll be good to go for a long time.

It is not uncommon to encounter watches where instead of a proper repair, this pinion has been punched on the staking set to close the hole, then reamed to fit the axle. There is very little thickness to the bearing surface between the pinion and the axle, this dodgy repair doesn’t tend to last for long and it is bad practice.

This should solve the rattling when the watch is shaken, but the watch will also at minimum require a service, too.

Best Regards,

Mark

18 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Because conveniently the you're the only watchmaker still alive on the planet at least that they know of.

So true. Fortunately for the amateurs these people are our friends and some of us enjoy a good deed…the other benefit of the ‘friend watch’ is they usually haven’t been knackered by someone rooting about, unless it was the ‘professional’ at the jewelers…

• Like 1

All advice given has been good and best followed. Minimum to expect is a service plus any parts, and a fair sized hole in the pocket. The fact that the rotor has been sloshing around you can expect metal shavings and dust in the movement, the rate of damage depends for how long was it Isee in a deteriorating state.