Hi gents.

So, my lady sometimes wears a Camel Trophy watch that runs on batteries powered by an ETA 955 412 movement.

The watch began having trouble setting the time, although it sets the date just fine.

I opened it, took it out of the case and began removing the hands so I could remove the dial and take a look at the keyless works, but I can't seem to remove the hour hand. The hand is too low, it's touching the dial and my hand removing clips can't sneak underneath to pull it. Anyway, I loosen the dial feet holders and took the dial off, thinking that by doing this, the hour hand would come off, but no... I noticed the hour wheel got stuck too on the back of the dial.

Now, I'm afraid that whatever I do to try to get these off will somehow damage them...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

WIN_20240628_15_04_13_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240628_15_02_50_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240628_15_03_35_Pro.jpg

14 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Maybe someone could give you better advice but I would make a support, same size or larger than the dial, drill a hole just bigger than the hour wheel and then push on the hour wheel pivot. 

Yep, that's how I would do it

• Like 2

If you've got some tool steel rod, something like 2 mm, shape the end like a screwdriver and beat it flat on an anvil with a hammer it will work harden the tips and they will be really slim. Finish them off on some wet and dry and you've got some really good slim hand removers. I use mine I made for things just like this. They will find the smallest gap and open it up.

I buy my tool steel from these guys https://www.groundflatstock.com/ Brilliant for making tools and parts. always good to have a supply of 2, 3 and 5 mm rod. I buy tool steel sheet from elsewhere to make things like yokes and setting lever springs.

Great as collet removal tools as well! 

They chip every now and then but I just hone it back. I've been using these for over seven years nowhandlever2.jpg.a328493c5775b58743e1b3ff1fdbd354.jpg

handlever.jpg.6fdf0b2ef3ddaa1252787bbce677b94f.jpg

Edited by Jon
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jon said:

If you've got some tool steel rod, something like 2 mm, shape the end like a screwdriver and beat it flat on an anvil with a hammer it will work harden the tips and they will be really slim. Finish them off on some wet and dry and you've got some really good slim hand removers. I use mine I made for things just like this. They will find the smallest gap and open it up.

They chip every now and then but I just hone it back. I've been using these for over seven years nowhandlever2.jpg.a328493c5775b58743e1b3ff1fdbd354.jpg

handlever.jpg.6fdf0b2ef3ddaa1252787bbce677b94f.jpg

Do you think there's space to fit anything under that hand?

I'm surprised it was even running and not scraping the dial to bits.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I would make a support, same size or larger than the dial, drill a hole just bigger than the hour wheel and then push on the hour wheel pivot.

For support, you could first try with a flat piece of pithwood. It could possibly be soft enough to push the hour wheel tube down a few tenths of a millimetre and sturdy enough not to be deformed. Then finish it off with hand levers. I've never tried it so it's just an idea.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 3:57 PM, Jon said:

I buy my tool steel from these guys https://www.groundflatstock.com/ Brilliant for making tools and parts. always good to have a supply of 2, 3 and 5 mm rod. I buy tool steel sheet from elsewhere to make things like yokes and setting lever springs.

They chip every now and then but I just hone it back. I've been using these for over seven years now

My hand removal tools are crap. I ordered them through Cousins and the tips are too thick. They did remove the seconds and minutes hands because their height from the dial ground is greater than the thickness of the tips.

I have several hones from 350, 1000, 5000, 8000 and a natural Belgium Coticule with unknown grit, probably around 10k~12k. I might grind them and file them a bit until the tips are flattened. It will be difficult since I don't have anything to lay the tools to get a fixed angle and hone evenly, but I'll figure out something.

Anyway, as much as I file the tips and turn them into a really slim wedge, this won't be enough to stick under the hour hand.

Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely will grind the tips to turn them into a proper hand removal tool.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 4:03 PM, AndyGSi said:

Do you think there's space to fit anything under that hand?

I'm surprised it was even running and not scraping the dial to bits.

The dial did looked marked where the hand was tight. If there is a little space between the hour hand and the underside of minute hand then the hour hand will lift slightly with only the resistance of the dial washer. Should be just enough to get something thin underneath, a mainspring bend ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches