Hello

mauricio

Hi,

I am Mauricio a Mexican living in Norway. I'm trying to get more serious about tinkering and working with watches. I always loved and got intrigued by watches and other machines. I always found myself looking into my grandfather's watches as a kid. Now I have some of my own and inherited those I used to look at and now trying to maintain them, fix them and increase my collection.

I always loved the self-taught approach and trying that with watches. So after some reading, watching tutorials and restoring videos, I successfully made some small fixes and upgrades to my quartz watches (new or polishing crystals, new quartz movement replacement, ultrasonic cleaning and of course new straps 😄 ) I decided to invest more into it and progress now with mechanical watches (some from that inheritance).

Have got into this forum looking for info on a movement I am working on. An old Royce (I think it was an old new stock)  I got gifted by a neighbour (a former jeweller) some 20 years ago, I never actually used it since I thought it was not my style at the time, and always had some problems setting the time on it but now I am trying to fix it (seems like the clutch slips ?). Here is a picture of my progress.

Looking forward to getting more active around here.

Cheers

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5890.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

You're probably best starting a new post in the relevant section of the forum requesting help and giving more details on the fault.

In the mean time if you've not already got them, here's the details for your AS 2066 movement.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/645_as2060,1,2,6,4,6.pdf

Edited by AndyGSi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyGSi said:

Welcome to the forum.

You're probably best starting a new post in the relevant section of the forum requesting help and giving more details on the fault.

In the mean time if you've not already got them, here's the details for your AS 2066 movement.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/645_as2060,1,2,6,4,6.pdf

Hi, thanks for the welcome and the movement info. Yes I probably should create a thread for this, just wanted to add something besides “hi” to the introduction.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• So if the barrel is winding but you've got no movement then it's got to be something on the drive train.
    • The rougher grades will pull score marks out, you'll end up with a thinner pivot but you would whatever you use . I think you'll find that most women would get away with that , it's their husbands that wouldn't 
    • Great question! The weight appears to move freely without obstruction and appears to be winding…
    • @quantieme, I feel I need to say few things more than the others already sid here. The auto winding module is a simple thing and finding faults in it is simple thing too. But You need to know how it works and what must it's behavior be first. First - how it must work and behave when it is in normal order: You have  traditional bi-directional winding module with two reverse wheels, but here in Omega the two reverse wheels are united in one, they are two reverse wheels mounted on one common pinion. Then, I have seen in some Omega movements that You have one more reverse wheel, which is mounted on the ratchet wheel. The ratchet wheel is made on two levels, with reverse function between them. This allows separate winding by the crown without bringing to motion of the auto module.  I am no sure if You case is this, I have not worked with such movements long time ago, have only distant memories. You have to know how normally such auto module performs as to check and understand if there is a problem with it. When the spring is not wound, turning the rotor in any direction will slowly turn the ratchet wheel, and You will fill almost no resistance. Turning the watch will make the rotor turn the module because of the rotor mass. BUT when the spring is already wound, You will fill significant resistance when turning the rotor , and slow turning of the watch may not make the module turn, as the mass of the rotor may not overcome the resistance of the spring winding. This is the reason why some movements will not auto wind fully on winding machines. But it is important to know that in this condition (fully wound mainspring), turning of the rotor in any direction must continue turning the ratchet wheel (actually the arbor of the barrel, as there might be reverse wheel in ratchet wheel that may be out of health). Further more, a healthy module will have relatively small angular free play of the rotor. This will be about (no more than) 90 degrees. And, if You turn the rotor only to +/-180 degr., this must be enough to make the ratchet wheel turn. So, here You have the way to check the function of the winding module. No use to check it's function when the spring is unwound, as then resistance is small. Wind the mainspring fully (6 revolutions of the ratchet wheel is enough) and start turning the rotor back and forth in the limits of 180 degr angle, not making full revolutions at all. Observe what is the angle wit small resistance (the free play) and is the resistance increasing (spring is wound) within the limits of this 180 degr. oscillation. Does the ratchet wheel turn ahead? Of course, as @oldhippy said, the main reason for faults here is the double reverse wheel part. If it is out of order, usually disassembling it shows that one of the posts of the pawls inside has broke or smash. Replacing of the post (tapered steel pin needed to be pressed in place and then cut and filed to correct height) normalizes the function of the part. But, if there is reverse wheel in the ratchet wheel, it may be the reason too.