Broken Minute Hand - Help !

Michael20

Hello all, my latest project is a Uhrenfabrik Villingen Maurer Pfaff & Maier clock (pics attached) the face is marked DRP No 94099 which I think is a German patent number issued in 1897.

I have the clock running and striking perfectly, but this morning disaster struck whilst setting the time - the minute hand snapped. I suspect this is due to a previous repair having failed as I can see what looks like a small brass tab on the reverse (see pics)

I have tried soldering the 2 pieces back together but this obviously isn't going to be strong enough. Any suggestions about the correct way to effect a lasting repair would be greatly appreciated.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

I would clean it up. Cut a little slot where it goes into the piece that has the square and solder a small brass plate to to hold the two parts together. Yes you are right it is a German Strike and it has inside count wheel strike, should be 8 day duration. People break hand off because they move the hand by the tips or ends always move from the center.  

• Like 1