*Practical* acceptable amplitude expectations for a vintage watch

7 hours ago, mbwatch said:

I will have to find time to watch all of this. 5min in and I am floored by the automated milling and the "ten plates at once damaskeening rig"

My personal favorites is at four minutes and 54 seconds. The machine with how many parts? All before CNC on the other hand if they Needed to change the tooling to a new watch plate how long would that take?

Then if you like the movie there is a book different watch company  few years before but still it talks about the tools or some of them

https://archive.org/details/evolutionofautom00mars_0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VWatchie said:
19 hours ago, caseback said:

A large size Seitz reamer is perfect for removing burrs.

Thanks for the tip! Is it an idea or have you tried it?

I honestly read this as a cruel joke, use a large reamer to undo all the work you just did reducing the hole to refit the barrel arbor. Now I get it - reamer only on the very outer edge, but I have a deburring tool for that anyway.

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

My personal favorites is at four minutes and 54 seconds. The machine with how many parts? All before CNC on the other hand if they Needed to change the tooling to a new watch plate how long would that take?

I can't believe they had an in-house astronomer and in-house observatory at the Elgin factory to determine the reference time from a known star.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mbwatch said:

I can't believe they had an in-house astronomer and in-house observatory at the Elgin factory to determine the reference time from a known star.

first thing I found was Wikipedia but Wikipedia isn't always right people make silly assumptions and they don't actually know things I found a video much better. It does confirm something that I long ago suspected Elgin was a very very big company when it was at its peak.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Anything you can recommend?

No, I just have one that came with my Marshall jeweling set. A little spherical thing with ridges, about 2.5mm. It's only just big enough for most barrel holes; not as big as the largest 2.99mm Seitz reamer.

• Like 1