I want to try repainting the watch dial. 
But I have a few problems. 
In some watch dials, the substance is centered around the dial. How do you actually do that? Also is there lacquer available in transparent colors? Or is there a color die that can be mixed with normal clear lacquer?
I can make numbers and other letters with waterslide decal. But I want to know how to make the background color.
I like the watch dial below...

IMG_7726.jpeg

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

There is a hell of a lot that goes into restoring watch dials. It's not something that paint and a brush can fix.  I suggest you look at a few videos on Youtube that is if you can put up with the bloody adverts. Get a downloader and it cuts the crap out. 

If you add the app Ublock (it's free) to your web browser, you will see no adverts at all on Youtube. I couldn't watch Youtube without it.

I forgot to adda link  https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 12:38 AM, oldhippy said:

There is a hell of a lot that goes into restoring watch dials. It's not something that paint and a brush can fix.  I suggest you look at a few videos on Youtube that is if you can put up with the bloody adverts. Get a downloader and it cuts the crap out. 

How to search on you tube. What are the keywords?

4 minutes ago, Ageera said:

How to search on you tube. What are the keywords?

Have a look for “Kirk Rich” they have dial restoration videos and they are a company who does dial restoration 

Tom

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Watch dial restoration should do it. 
    • yes I was being serious but? yes always one of the amusements in the universe when people aren't exactly on the same page and answers don't make sense. Usually much better when you're dealing with a person right in front a you you can see immediately that something isn't quite right. I think a better way to do this is I will just show you what I used to use at home. It worked fine for many many years then I had a time span where I wasn't doing any work at home and the plastic containers last time I looked had disintegrated. Even though those were rated for chemicals and as I said lasted for many years they didn't last forever so glass might've been better so you can't see the cleaning location as the newspaper hides it. So the cleaning location is the room for normally washing clothes the newspapers on top of the washing machine. I was just like the idea of a newspaper keeps things from falling where they shouldn't be and it's easy to throw away when I'm all through. two types of baskets purchased off of eBay. The larger one is supposed to go in some other machine typically it's supposed to be up right because the lid doesn't fit super tight and really tiny parts could escape. Which is why everything super tiny goes in the basket with the screw on lid. Then a fine wire attaches to each of the basket so I can pick them up at all the larger parts are strong on the wire in this image the balance jewels have been removed the balance wheel is back in as it will clean just fine and everything's protected. Otherwise the balance wheel has to go out and either be strong on a wire or a large enough basket but typically it would've been strong on the wire. different image showing how to do things then cleaning machine people frown on what's being shown here. Although thinking about it on YouTube they frown on ultrasonic and probably just about everything in the universe. Classically with ultrasonic machines you never want to place anything directly over the transducer like a beaker for instance but this is the way the machine was sold local drugstore had them on sale a very long time ago I think this thing must've lasted almost 20 years before it disintegrated. Cleaning fluid goes in the beaker parts in the beaker in the machine with water around its yes is a lot of taking the parts out I usually put them on a paper towel to spin dry oh wait there is no spinning there but I put on paper towel the drip off while changing the fluids in the beaker it would actually better if you had separate jars 80 1F be swapping the fluids around but it didn't work  then at some point in time they changed the rinse where basically it will not draw no matter how hot it got it would not 100% dry. I asked a friend what he was doing and he recommended alcohol. Isopropyl would be better but this is what I used and yes it does dissolves shellac. But it was only in there for a few seconds the purpose was to rinse off the rinse and goes immediately and in dryer and it was never an issue. yes today it probably use isopropyl alcohol but what's the fun in that? Then after a very long time very very long time the little ultrasonic like they typically do decided no longer to function. Fortunately somebody had given me this and you will note there's a piece of plastic to keep the beaker off the bottom of the tank. Then there is water in the whole tank enough that things function correctly but not so much that the beaker is in danger of floating away. Yes various YouTube people would really frown on this procedure but I don't recall any problems at all in originally freeze-drying the hand-held hairdryer that I would just put on the newspaper and put the baskets in front didn't blow super intently and it worked perfect. But it finally disintegrated so I think I purchased this and not sure where it came from but the new one gets much hotter and blows much more intently so usually what I do is I would keep the spacing between it and the baskets much farther away. But then I got creative and made which you see in the image. then I got even more creative and found a piece of scrap metal as I wasn't sure what the actual error pattern was I probably should conducted smoke and windtunnel tests the see the pattern of the air flow so I put a piece of sheet metal on top. Also still had a hair dryer back a distance because I did feel that it was very very hot I really can't see how anyone could dry their hair was something like that it seems like you'd get burnt but maybe that's why got it cheap someplace? so there is how I used to clean watches at home. Now if I needed to clean a watch a just go to work and use an astronomically expensive machine that does a really nice job. But even without the astronomically expensive machine DIY works quite well.
    • Hi, I’m using a T rest with gravers to cut the balance. I have noticed that the metal is burnishing so possibly it how I’m holding the graver.
    • Split up the parts into more baskets 6,8,10 baskets if needed so the parts aren't over crowded .Little difference compared to an average dedicated parts cleaner basket. Big pieces can be dried as they are. If you want a drying plate then wax melt heaters are a good size , but warm air needs blowing through to dry parts quickly and thoroughly 
    • Does anyone have this set of K&D 322B jeweling reamers? I'm wondering if you could measure the diameter of the spindle. It looks like it has to be bigger than a typical 4.7mm stake. I'm curious if a staking tool would receive this spindle directly or if the K&D staking+jeweling sets have different sized receivers to swap between staking and jeweling.