Far from an expert, but always searching for knowledge.

Skx007

Hello all,

I am a novice at tinkering. I’ve built and modded a few seiko skx’s and have really enjoyed them. That being said, I’m stumped. After replacing the crystal with a flat sapphire one and regulating the time over the weekend, as it was about six minutes fast per day, I now have a stuck movement. I’ve tried reseating the crown a few times. Tighten the counterweight screw and still no change. I perform the drill shuffle and nothing unless I wrap it with a little force and all hands advance rapidly for a short time then stop. Any and all advice welcomed.

4 hours ago, Skx007 said:

Hello all,

I am a novice at tinkering. I’ve built and modded a few seiko skx’s and have really enjoyed them. That being said, I’m stumped. After replacing the crystal with a flat sapphire one and regulating the time over the weekend, as it was about six minutes fast per day, I now have a stuck movement. I’ve tried reseating the crown a few times. Tighten the counterweight screw and still no change. I perform the drill shuffle and nothing unless I wrap it with a little force and all hands advance rapidly for a short time then stop. Any and all advice welcomed.

At what point did the movement stop running ?

• Like 1

Take the movement out of its case and see how it runs. If it works you know it is something to do with the case is the glass the correct one is it seated right. If it stops you then need to find the reason, start by just have the basic running and work from there up so that you end up with the complete movement working. 

• Like 2

The stoppage started day three after crystal replaced. Final adjustments made prior to stoppage were as followed: 1 made minor adjustment to move the rate lever to the negative side in effort to slow it a bit. 2 closed the watch back up. 3 did the Seiko wobble and noticed a different sounds of metal on metal. 4 reopened the back and found a screw had backed its self out. Tightened the screw and now stopped or stuck movement. All was in working order prior. 

IMG_5567.jpeg

When you say stuck movement, does the weight still rotate and wind the barrel (don't try too hard if it doesn't want to move)?

It could be the fourth wheel that's moved so you may need to remove the bridge or at least loosen the screw again to re-engage.

Edit

Maybe best just to remove the bridge if you can and check the pivot or teeth aren't damaged.

Edited by AndyGSi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skx007 said:

The stoppage started day three after crystal replaced. Final adjustments made prior to stoppage were as followed: 1 made minor adjustment to move the rate lever to the negative side in effort to slow it a bit. 2 closed the watch back up. 3 did the Seiko wobble and noticed a different sounds of metal on metal. 4 reopened the back and found a screw had backed its self out. Tightened the screw and now stopped or stuck movement. All was in working order prior. 

IMG_5567.jpeg

Something under that auto has probably moved out of position 

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your help! I’m going to crack it back open, remove the weight and take a look. Admittedly, I’m a little apprehensive as I’ve haven’t yet disabled beyond that. Previous experience has been more of the cosmetic sort; face, hands, crown, crystal, chapter ring & bezel replacement. I fancy myself pretty mechanically inclined, so going to give it a go. In your experience, is there something I should avoid doing or be looking for? Any chance there is a pic of the fourth wheel location? Once again, sending all a large and humble Thank you.

Hi all the speculation in the world is not going to fix the problem it’s going to have to come apart carefully checking as we go. Hectors advice is best followed first as it’s the least invasive. Just power down the movement remove balance and pallet then check the train for freedom , if still stuck the bridge will need to come off to go further. Take pictures at every stage and ant notes that may be aplicable

• Like 2