Hiya watch folks. I'm looking at swapping the cannon pinion on an Oris 291 i fixed up a month or so ago. The movement had an incorrect cannon pinion fitted, same size but for a sweep second family calibre whereas the movement is a sub second, the hole in the end bothered me . So one ive just found in a donor 291 the correct one, problem is a broken center wheel pivot is stuck inside it , probably the original had the same fate. I thought about drilling it out but its certain to damage the bore. The difference between the two looks like a 2 part press fit, one with a blind hole and one open, question is finding a way to seperate the 2 pieces of both cannon pinions to swap them over.

20240701_213921.jpg

Could you perhaps tap it and insert a screw to get some grip? The risk in that, is that you could be expanding the broken off piece, wedging it tighter in the cannon pinion. 

Have you considered closing the open ended cannon pinion with a bit of solder, or is that cheating 😉

1 hour ago, caseback said:

Could you perhaps tap it and insert a screw to get some grip? The risk in that, is that you could be expanding the broken off piece, wedging it tighter in the cannon pinion. 

Have you considered closing the open ended cannon pinion with a bit of solder, or is that cheating 😉

I could drill the center wheel pivot with carbide but it will be too hard to put a tap through. I did think about polishing a drop of solder on the end, i would have to pack the inside to stop it sucking in. Might be an option as the 2 pieces could be a tight fit and might buckle while seperating. J do havecan offset cannon pinion remover that might prise them apart. 

If i get the blind one apart i can tap out the broken arbor.

Tapping out the arbor may even push the top off

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• That's the same set included in the 18R Deluxe Staking Set.  Fortunately, you can use the reamer holder just as a normal stake.
    • Are there any circular wear marks on the inside of the case back that would indicate that the rotor has been in contact with it whilst rotating? You’ll often find these marks on the case back or around the perimeter of the movement if the rotor has excessive play.  The watch certainly needs cleaning and it is running very sluggishly. This could be due to nothing more than congealed and degraded lubricants, in which case a service should have it running well again.  The hairspring looks to either have some coils clinging together, or have a fibre stuck on it. Clinging coils could be due to oil on the hairspring or magnetism. If the watch has been used heavily in the past, the barrel arbour is likely to have excessive sideshake. If so, this will reduce amplitude or stop the watch completely. These movements have replaceable bushings in the bridge and plate, so it is a straightforward repair to replace them if necessary. There could be other defects too, but given that the watch runs sluggishly, a decent watchmaker should certainly be able to get it running properly again without difficulty. Best Regards, Mark
    • Just to say, most of the people who still have no experience, believe that the tail stock will solve their problems with the drilling. Well, it depends on the kind of the drilling and the drilling bits type, but in case of small holes for repivoting or similar, using tail stock with lever for pressing the bit to the work can only do harm. At least, this is what I came to in my practice.
    • Do you have any photos? It would be handy to know what it looks like. When you say sleeve, do you mean the runner or is it something else?
    • I’ve bought some diamond plates, 400-2000 grit in a set. Depending on how blunt I get the graver, I’ll start between 400-800 and keep going until the face has been completely removed, ensuring the corners are even. I then do about 50-100 passes (higher as the grit level increases, through the range of grits, checking the top sides adjacent to the face for burs and removing them as necessary. Once if finished the 2000 grit, I then finish the face on an Arkansas stone.  I have a relatively cheap graver holder for sharpening but it seems to do the trick. The plates are pretty cheap too. I picked them up on Amazon