888 Pocket Watch

Alun

Hi all.....I'm back again with my cap in hand asking for more help identifying a pocket watch.

The only identification I can find is an 888 within an oval by the balance cock.

It's a 41.1mm watch (~18lignes)

I've attached photos.

I've scoured Mikrolisk and the only similar mark is from Achille Hirsch....but I'm really really guessing....as I can't find any further info.

Has anyone any ideas on the ID of this watch?

Btw....I have two identical movements and this one will be the donor. However once I can find out what it is I'll be looking for a balance staff again!

Many thanks 

Alun

PXL_20240702_152606536.jpg

PXL_20240702_152549425.jpg

PXL_20240702_152542470.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Did you read the other posts and look at the pics, this is NOT a snap-on case back, using a knife or tool for snap-ons will cause great irreversible damage ! The screws under the bezel click [which some incorrectly labeled as the bezel spring] hold the caseback and need to be removed first, Seiko MM models use similar set-up, it's elaborate but not unusual...
    • I'm surprised about that as I would have expected the stems just to come from Citizen.
    • Well there is a sad end to the story of my first hmt watch. I washed all the parts and I started on the reassembly.  I was even recording audio (but forgot to turn on the recording on the camera). Anyway I realized the camera was not on when I was reassembling the click and the click spring.  That flustered me and as I was moving the click spring into position (not even trying to put it under tension yet, just moving it to its recess) it pinged off my tweezers.  I would have sworn I wasn't holding it tight but I must have. I have spent an hour looking for it but haven't found it.  I did find a shock spring and the corresponding jewel from a slava movement which I had lost and one seagull blued screw but no click spring.  Without it I don't see the point of continuing the reassembly as I won't be able to wind the watch. I have to say that got me a bit frustrated.  I have two more I bought from the same seller supposed to arrive beginning of August.  I think it is the end of my 4th of July watchmaking.  I'll get back to it tomorrow but right now and unless I find that spring I'll be good for nothing. I can't even go climbing to vent some steam as the gyms are closed for the 4th of July.  
    • Hi Nev, i had a little trouble getting the balance fitted back in, not much room, then it oscillate very slowly. The balance looks good, hairspring looks good and clean, no catching anywhere , coil spacings fine but very slow. With balance back out the lever is slow to snap across banking pins, i think i have caught either the pallet pins or the escape wheel when fitting the balance. I need to take it all apart to see what damage i have made. Not banking pins, has no banking pins  Is that it ? Apart from the stem hour wheel and cannon pinion thats it. Know idea whats going on the mainspring but as far as i could tell this has never been opened. 
    • What @HectorLooi has said covers most of your ask but I’ll throw in a couple more bits. my, and most case vices can be used in a bench vice to give you extra stability or be hand held. what he was trying to get over as well is our natural tendency is to twist the tool to open the back, this is not the way to do it but using the tool to wedge the back off is.   Tom