Mens Pulsar

I have two of these mens Pulsar watches. One is running, but the other needs a new movement. I have tried to find another one and I am not having any luck. I have gathered the movement is Y100A. Maybe it is discontinued?

Also, the crystals have minor scratches on them. Is there a way to buff these out? 

Thank you!

face.png

movement.png

For buffing crystal you need to remove the scratches, depending on how deep they are, 400 grit, followed by 600 grit , wet and dry, keep going up the grits and then polish.  The 400 grit will make it look worse at first. Plenty of videos, advice on the Internet. 

Ps. You might be able to start at 600 grit, depending on the depth of the scratches. 

As for the movements, I  don't work on quartz. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyGSi said:

I think your best chance of finding a movement is having to buy another working watch but this sort of defeats the object.

Edit

This is all I use but not sure if they're still available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B9HQLP11/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes they are still about ,  I have the same type just a different brand. They are good for checking if the ciruit is pulsing and the cmos is working , mine also has a quartz crystal tester that does seem to identify a defect one . For testing the coil and circuit runs Melissa will need a resistance meter.

13 hours ago, Melissalea said:

I have two of these mens Pulsar watches. One is running, but the other needs a new movement. I have tried to find another one and I am not having any luck. I have gathered the movement is Y100A. Maybe it is discontinued?

Also, the crystals have minor scratches on them. Is there a way to buff these out? 

Thank you!

face.png

movement.png

Are the crystals made of glass Melissa ?

3 hours ago, AndyGSi said:

You can do a quick check on the coil with the magnetic field generator and see the hands rotate.

How does that work Andy ? I usually test the coil and circuit boards for continuity 

I understood that the field generator acted on and spun the permanent magnet rotor to turn the train.

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi.  The crystals will polish out ok ,  Sovol autosol. Chrome polish from your auto store will do the job, takes a bit of effort but it works for surface scratches.   I think the Hattori VX43 would be a close match you may have to alter or remove the dial feet and use dots.

Love that stuff WW i use it for allsorts of things.

Just place the watch over the MECANIC part and activate it.

The magnetic field will induce a voltage in the coil and cause the hands to rotate.

This does sometimes help to free a stuck mechanism where you can see the second hand
twitching but not moving, but the main purpose is it shows the coil doesn't have a break.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyGSi said:

Just place the watch over the MECANIC part and activate it.

The magnetic field will induce a voltage in the coil and cause the hands to rotate.

This does sometimes help to free a stuck mechanism where you can see the second hand
twitching but not moving, but the main purpose is it shows the coil doesn't have a break.

Ah ok, i didn't know it worked in that way, i tnought it worked on the rotor.

What's the 'line release tool'?

Edit

Just did a search for line release tool and found one but it doesn't explain how it works.

All I know if that when I've tested watches this way and got no
hand movement and then replaced the coil they've worked.

20 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ah ok, i didn't know it worked in that way, i tnought it worked on the rotor.

Never really sat back and thought about it to be honest but yes you're right, it is the rotor
that causes movement so as @HectorLooi said it would still work with the coil removed.

Think I'll have to do some more testing this weekend.

Just sat here now questioning my sanity why I ever believed it worked that way when I got told it!!!!

Edited by AndyGSi

1 hour ago, AndyGSi said:

Just sat here now questioning my sanity why I ever believed it worked that way when I got told it!!!!

Haha dont believe everything that you hear Andy, I only knew because my introduction to watch restoration was pulling apart and putting back together hundreds of scrapped quartz watches. Now you can sit there and question if what me and Hector told you is true 😆

As stated by Neven and Hector, the tool generates an alternating wave form which pulses the rotor. With the coil off and the circuit block off it will spin the rotor. For an understanding of how quartz watches work read the attached documents.

a cheap line release tool can be made from a low voltage transformer or a mains transformer the active ingredient being the generated wave form. Introduce the watch and the wave form acts on the rotor

ElectricWatchRepairManual.pdf Witschi Training Course.pdf

• Like 1

10 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi.  The crystals will polish out ok ,  Sovol autosol. Chrome polish from your auto store will do the job, takes a bit of effort but it works for surface scratches.   I think the Hattori VX43 would be a close match you may have to alter or remove the dial feet and use dots.

I believe the crystals to be mineral glass. This stuff will work on that? I will look into it! Thank you. I thought the only way was using sandpaper, but since I haven't done that yet and this is not my watch I was hesitant. Also, thank you for the alternate movement suggestion. I will look into that as well. 

Also, thank you everyone for notes on checking a quartz movement out. I will have to find something similar.

3 hours ago, Melissalea said:

I believe the crystals to be mineral glass. This stuff will work on that? I will look into it! Thank you. I thought the only way was using sandpaper, but since I haven't done that yet and this is not my watch I was hesitant. Also, thank you for the alternate movement suggestion. I will look into that as well. 

Also, thank you everyone for notes on checking a quartz movement out. I will have to find something similar.

If the crystals are glass as i thought they might be then no the autosol or any other polish unfortunately doesn't work unless you are prepared to put in lots and lots and lots of hours on it and then a few more hours.  Dont try sandpaper as you wont get those scratches out by hand either, its not fun unless this is your idea of fun. Best bet Melissa is going to be diminishing grades of diamond paste used with a mechanical buffer.

• Like 1

Thank you Andygsi, I looked at the other movement and it didn't look right to me. I will look into these other ones. 

Neverenoughwatches, kind of like Polywatch? I have heard mixed reviews on that product. I will look up other brands of diamond paste. Thank you

35 minutes ago, Melissalea said:

Thank you Andygsi, I looked at the other movement and it didn't look right to me. I will look into these other ones. 

Neverenoughwatches, kind of like Polywatch? I have heard mixed reviews on that product. I will look up other brands of diamond paste. Thank you

The autosol is good for acrylic,  but removing scratches from glass is much more difficult. If you can feel the scratch with your nails then its not going to be easy