How to make a too big center seconds hand to fit?

Hello All;

I like to learn some tricks of the trade.

I have a Vostok Amphibian which center seconds hand has a 0.15mm fit. It's a blue colored seconds hand and I like to change it out for a nickel / SS color. CousinsUK has a nice model seconds hand, but the smallest fit is 0.2mm.

Are there some neat tricks, next to nip the tube with some pliers?

Edited by Endeavor

You would need to use a canon pinion tightening tool or similar. My staking set has a v-shaped stump which could be used here. Remember to use a broach or pin inside the tube to prevent over compressing it.

DeCarle suggests using a hair to fill the gap, but you might want to try sweating a little electrical solder down the inside and then opening back out to size with a broach. You will most likely find that the stainless steel flour hand is actually plated brass, so no problem getting solder to stick, but be careful not to discolour the hand as it will be difficult to polish.

Alternatively, I quite like coloured seconds hands so would gladly look after this piece if you don't like it!!

S

Hello StuartBaker104; thanks for the advice ;)

I quite like the hair idea. Obviously, it is all very fragile and very tiny, so any mechanical "interference" is a tricky endeavor. Another thing I have to find out is the outside diameter of the seconds hand tube to the inner-diameter of the minute-wheel tube. CousinsUK doesn't mention the outside diameter, however they do mention this:

"Quartz watch seconds hands do have a thinner external tube or pipe fitting than mechanical and therefore as a rule mechanical hands will not do for quartz, however quartz can do for mechanical."

It's going to be a bit of a gamble, but perhaps worth a try......
There is nothing wrong with the blue colored seconds hand, but I changed the bezel, which had matching blue dots. Now the blue seconds hand has no reference to blue anymore, not in the bezel nor anything in the dial.

120695-4.jpg

120695.JPG

Edited by Endeavor

That's also an idea oldhippy...thanks ;) I don't have such a thin watch reamer, so the hair-trick is for me still #1.........having said that, I better hurry.......haven't got that much hair left :D

Edited by Endeavor

One thing about reducing the diameter of the seconds hand tube by 'pinching' is that it will only grip the seconds pinion at the 'pinch' points. This will result in the seconds hand easily moving out of alignment and fouling the minute hand or dragging on the glass.

If you have a piece of wire slightly thinner than the seconds pinion, put this in the hole of the seconds hand and gently close the end of a pin-vice around the tube (with the wire inside). The wire will ensure you don't crimp too far.

The benefit of doing it this way is a) you have 4 pinch points and b)the force is more controllable.

HTH

Anil

Edited by anilv
'4 pinch points'
  • Like 2

The idea is to pinch it just enough so it doesn't completely close and the circumference that the hand travels will be so minimalistic you won't see it, also I would expect the person who undertakes such a repair to have the knowledge in making sure the hands don't foul up and are clear of the watch glass.

The pin-vice is also a good idea. I do have those and the jaws consist of 4 segments, or fingers if you like. Hereby you squeeze the tube at 4 spots with 90 degrees in between........good idea!

Saves me a hair as well, and every one counts :thumbsu:

I have done this using a suitable sized collet in my lathe to neatly reduce the diameter of the pipe the pipe.

It is also a good way to reduce the outside diameter of small compression springs if required.  I've used the technique on chronograph pusher springs with great success.

• Like 1